Skin and Eye Troubles
The soot that remains after a fire can cause skin irritation or dryness,
exacerbating chronic dermal conditions such as eczema. If soot is present
in your home, it can embed itself into your clothing, causing further skin
irritation. Tiny soot particles can also irritate your eyes, causing them
to sting, burn, and become red and itchy.
The huge amounts of water that firefighters must use to smother flames can
leave behind excess moisture that can cause mold spores to proliferate.
For those with mold allergies, the fungus causes sneezing, stuffy noses,
cough, postnasal drip, wheezing, eye irritation, and dry skin.
In addition, mold that grows on a structure’s surfaces can weaken a home’s
foundation. It may also cause deterioration in wallpapers, drywall, and
floor surfaces, eventually causing structure weakening that leads to